10 May 2003

Chatuchak Weekend Market

This morning I went to the Chatuchak Weekend Market in Bangkok. I’m getting used to walking in the city now and negotiating the sky-train (an above ground subway). The market is a huge area of 6,000 open-air stalls to peruse. (For those of you from Mukwonago, think Maxwell street days times 1,000). There was a diverse selection of silk, designer lamps, silver, dishes, plants, clothes, home accessories, and artwork. I was only there for two hours among the hot and sweaty mob and had enough, but I was also out of money by that time. It was actually nice to go alone because I could browse at whim and stick mostly to the craft area. I’m not too bad at bartering and even attempted to ask prices in Thai. I played the part of a student with little money and they usually took pity on me. My best buy was a beautiful matted, framed, watercolor/coffee painting done by a local artist for 380 baht (about $10). (The first time I came by the seller said the price was 900 baht). And, I had originally paid her 430 baht, but she gave me 50 back because she saw that I had zero money left and no way of getting home! Also bought a bedspread made of silk fabrics that is put together quilt-like and another swatch of silk.

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2010 Kate's Updates | Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Free PSD Design by Amuki