25 December 2003

More Than "Cultural Understanding"

Happy Christmas to me. I'm all alone at the house (others on vacation in Bangkok), but all the better to enjoy today's beautiful crisp fall-feeling, low 60's weather. It's interesting how on my day's off I want time to myself to sit and think and write and do nothing. Yet, I have all the thinking time I need in the forest but get bored because I am forced into the inactivity -- there is no choice/freedom involved. Here, today, at any time I can up and do something else. It makes a difference. Wichian and Lek both stopped by this morning to wish me a Merry X-mas and Kreua (our cleaning lady) wished me Happy New Year (well she was close! It's the thought that counts). 

Ahhh, I am covered on my back and chest and waist by tiny tick bites. Some scabbed in the center and oozing -- or perhaps the tiny ticks are still embedded. I itch.

28 Dec 03

Held an hour-long English class this evening. It was a good class due to a fewer number of students and a fun activity. I had flashcards of verbs and everyone stood up and guessed/practiced the action. My initial idea was to play "Simon Says..." with them but the directions proved too complicated. Plus, they are just beginning to learn words like "sit, walk, stomp, jump, snap..." A handful of students brought their new pencils and pencil cases to class (my Christmas gift to them); they seem to appreciate the gifts. I don't know where I find the energy to be enthusiastic and engage the kids after a day of work, but I do. My over-exaggerated facial expressions must be a hoot! I really have tons of fun with them. It is good for me.

As expected I smiled and laughed (and tried not to gag) my way through dinner during a small party at Wichian's tonight. A special meal of minced duck complete with pools of blood and a side dish of small raw clams. I did good though, and had a bit of everything, but mostly kept my mouth full of sticky rice. As guys dipped their fingers into communal dishes, the conversation centered on my leaving in a month. It seems everyone knows my departure date now. One guy joked he would steal my passport so I couldn't leave and that I might as well just stay on and be the English teacher. It feels good to know that I am now accepted as part of their community. That means so much more than any classroom study-abroad experience on "cultural understanding."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance." 

- from House of Leaves by Mark .Z. Danielewski

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2010 Kate's Updates | Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Free PSD Design by Amuki