30 June 2008

Do You Want the Good News or the Bad News?

My efforts in June focused on searching forest trails for dhole footprints/feces and also playing dhole and prey distress calls in areas.  I was pleased that Sawai, the sanctuary chief of research, came out in the field with me when we sat in a tree platform to play the sounds.  I am receiving full support from him and his team of research assistants for my work.  We are also driving a path in the morning to stop and play the sounds, then checking for tracks the following morning.  I am waiting for dhole urine from a zoo to see if that will act as an attractant.

Good news:  As you saw, this month we captured photos of a dhole pack in Khao Ang Rue Nai which confirmed that dholes are breeding in the sanctuary.

Bad news:  It seems the forest spirits had it in for me this month.  

I now have only 3 working cameras.  This last period, I lost two cameras to elephants and the rest have broken infrared sensors.  This is despite my efforts with silica caulk and silica gel to keep the insides dry.  I have spent days tracking down a repair man in Bangkok, but no one is willing to touch the unfamiliar cameras.

I am continuously looking for new funding opportunities.  I just learned that I was chosen as an alternate candidate for a Fulbright.  This means that I will receive a grant if a principal candidate declines the offer of a grant or if funds become available for additional grants.  I contacted Fulbright directly and am waiting to hear an update about my status.

I have not started the process of amending our current permits.  I will do this in July to include the study of potential domestic dog disease exposure to dholes.  I will also continue my efforts in the field searching for dhole sign.

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2010 Kate's Updates | Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Free PSD Design by Amuki