16 April 2008

Police Inquiry

I just had a long break for Songkran, the Thai New Year. I was planning to spend it at Pom's house (which is fun because you go around visiting the elderly and pouring water over their hands, then doing the same with the monks). But, I didn't have cash because I had to cancel my ATM card. When I got to Bangkok, I walked up to my apartment and found a new lock over the door handle. At first I thought the landlady had locked us out because we were both away for over a week. Then, I looked closer. The doorknob has a lock, but there are also two loops of metal (one on the door itself and one on the door frame). When you shut the door, these come one on top of the other, then you insert a pad lock. One of the loops of metal was twisted open. Someone had broken into my apartment!!

I was exhausted after a 5 hour bus ride in extreme heat and just wanted a shower. I had to get the landlady to open the door, and then a whole group of people gathered around to watch as I checked what was stolen. Everything seemed to be in place. They left after lots of nodding and sent a guy to put a new latch on the door. I was finally alone and the violation of it hit me. I called Pom and asked if he had my computer. Nope. They stole my (luckily OLD) computer, cords to an external hard drive (luckily they didn't take the drive), and my nice computer bag (which was in the closet....how did they even think to look for the bag? I guess it made leaving less conspicuous). Anyway, then I cried. I don't really need my old computer, but after it died, the previous week, I spent a lot of time fixing it and it was working great (faster than my new computer in fact). I was livid.

Then, (I still didn't get my shower) I had to deal with the police coming. They were more interested in asking personal questions about me being an American and my hair than about the theft. I don't know why they bothered to come. I waited for Pom and the next day we went to the police station to do a formal statement (not that it will do any good).

Our apartment has a security camera taping people going in and out of the building. I thought we could watch this to see if anyone had my bag. But, conveniently, the days I wanted to look at the landlord had no longer saved. Hmmm. I'm just lucky I still have my passport and credit cards.

0 comments:

 

Copyright © 2010 Kate's Updates | Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates | Free PSD Design by Amuki